Normally, the Live Oak Lions band performs the national anthem. However, when the Lions were playing the Indians of Marysville on Friday night, the band was not present. Even worse, the announcer’s booth had no back-up plan. Thus, the game began without a rendition of the national anthem.

This was the first of many events that occurred during the Live Oak Lions’ loss to the Marysville Indians 26-14 Friday night. Each team came into the game 1-0 on the season.

The Lion started out strong, scoring on their first possession. The Lions capped off their 64 yard opening drive with a 7 yard run by Matt Evans for a touchdown. Rene Martinez made the extra point to put the Lions ahead 7-0. Later in the first quarter, Matt Evans showed off his defense by recovering an Indians fumble. However, the Lions couldn’t capitalize on the Indians’ turnover; ultimately, the Lions were forced to punt.

The second quarter was the key quarter in the ball game. The Lions scored first in the second quarter with a 55 yard touchdown pass from Steven Garcia to Omar Gorsi. Rene Martinez added on the extra point to give the Lions a 14-0 lead. However, these points would be the last the Lions would score all night.

The momentum shifted to the Marysville Indians late in the second quarter when the Indians scored on a 30 yard touchdown run by Jacob Garrett. While the two point conversion attempt by the Indians was no good, the Indians were not finished scoring. Juan Briseno of the Indians made the biggest play of the night when he swiped the ball from Steven Garcia and took it back 60 yards for a touchdown. The Indians would make the two point conversion, sending the teams to overtime tied at 14 apiece.

Lions coach Dan Johnson was not blind to the turn of momentum late in the second quarter. “They got a score on a fourth and two. It kind of took the wind out of our sails. We gave one up there right before half. You can’t turn the ball over. You can’t give them a 50 yard run on a fourth and two. We just made some mental errors and let them back in the game.”

The second half, especially the third quarter, was controlled by the Indians. The Indians increased their lead in the third quarter with a 5 yard run by Francisco Garcia. Later in the third, the Indians’ Levi Love recovered a Live Oak fumble. The Indians would capitalize on the Lions’ error by scoring a touchdown on a 16 yard run by Jacob Garrett. On both touchdowns, the extra point and two point conversion attempts were no good.

There was not much action in the fourth quarter, but the Indians did add “insult to injury” when they recovered a Lions fumble on a kick-off. This would seal the deal for the Indians and cap –off a 26-0 run in their 26-14 victory.

Johnson wasn’t afraid to comment on his defense at the end of the game. “We weren’t very focused tonight. We definitely have some things to fix on defense. We are trying to find the right combination, but it’s a work in progress.”

The Lions travel to Lindhurst next week to take on the Blazers.