The Biggs Carnegie Library will celebrate 105 years of continuous operation on Saturday, April 20, 2013 from 10 a.m., to 1 p.m. Biggs City Council members approved a Proclamation for this event and agreed to present it at the event. The community of Biggs applied for and received a $5,000 Carnegie Grant in 1906 to build the library designed by A.J. Bryan and built by Hustable and Losser. Opening in 1908, the library has been in continuous operation as a library since that time.
During the Tuesday, April 9, 2013 Biggs City Council meeting, Mary Frith stated that the Library had remained open because of the Biggs Women's Club volunteering for many years. The Biggs Library became part of the Butte County Library system in 1964.
"When Butte County faced budget cuts in the 1908's, the members of the Biggs Women's Club served the community for 15 years by recruiting and organizing volunteers to keep the library open two days a week," the proclamation read.
Mayor Roger Frith presented a Proclamation to Executive Director of the Child Abuse Prevention Council, Margie Ruegger in recognition of April being Child Abuse Prevention Month. Ruegger asked Council and the audience to focus on implementing parental resilience, social connections, knowledge of parenting and child development, concrete support in times of need and social and emotional competence of children.
Council members approved a resolution stating support of the second amendment and the right to keep and bear arms requested by Vice-Mayor Angela Thompson who stated that several other cities in the area, such as the town of Paradise had shown support.