With the addition of Malcolm Weston to the Live Oak City Council last month, a vacancy on the Planning Commission needed to be filled. Felicity Clark was chosen out of two candidates and she stated in her application that she desires to be a part of the decision making process in its growth.

With the addition of Malcolm Weston to the Live Oak City Council last month, a vacancy on the Planning Commission needed to be filled.


Felicity Clark was chosen out of two candidates and she stated in her application that she desires to be a part of the decision making process in its growth. "I want to serve the community and it's citizens by helping to ensure that Live Oak grows to it's fullest potential, while maintaining it's safe, family oriented atmosphere," she wrote.


A Public Hearing was held regarding the Recreational Trails Program application. The program established a funding source for both federal acquisition of park and recreation lands and matching grants to State and local governments for recreation planning.


The City of Live Oak plans to submit an application for Recreational Trail Program for phases two, three and four.


Financial Analyst for the City of Live Oak, Bobbie Phagura explained that the purpose of the hearing was to give citizens an opportunity to participate and provide input on the type of park improvements that are proposed and to make their comments and recommendations for park improvements known.


The total cost for the project is estimated to be $1,451,874, with a grant funding potential of $1,277,649, or 88 percent of the cost, with a local match requirement of $174,225, the remaining 12 percent.


The City recently received word that Phase one of the project was approved through the Bicycle Trail Grant Fund, which is slated to start soon.


In a report submitted by Finance Director Satwant Takhar, it was explained that the Recreational Trail consists of four phases.


Phase one consists of a railroad corridor with the trail extending from Apricot Street north to Elm Street.


Phase two is a mix of rail corridor and a multi-use path along an improved California Street between Elm Street and Pennington Road. Phase three is a multi-use path along an improved “O” Street between Pennington Road/”O” Street and Kola Street. Phase four is a rail corridor and a multi-use path that extends from Kola Street to Epperson Way.


The design of the Recreational Trail was done with grant money received in 2006 from the Department of Housing and Community Development. The project design is nearly completed and the bid documents for construction are currently being reviewed by the City Engineer.


Council adopted the resolution for the submission of the grant application for the Recreational Trail for Phases two, three and four, through the Department of Parks and Recreation.


In other matters, the Council received 11 bids for the Pennington Road Walkway Improvement project, with Thomas H. Williams submitting not only the lowest bid, but a bid $70,000 below the estimated cost. It was reported by City Manager Jim Goodwin, that Thomas H. Williams Construction is the contractor that built the Gridley Skateboard Park.


Mayor Diane Hodges stated she was happy that this project is going through and it will be nice not only for the school children walking to school, but also the residents who live there, to finally have sidewalks in front of their homes. Council approved the bid by Thomas H. Williams for $283,159.50.